Wednesday, May 22, 2013

M&M and Chocolate Chip Banana Cake



We often realize someone’s or something’s importance only when we don’t have it. In my case, I often get the urge to eat fruits (especially banana) only when they are out of stock. When the urge arises, I go to the supermarket and buy loads of fruits the very next day.

And alas..! The fruits then don’t find their way to our tummies.

So yea, there was this day when my living room smelled ripe bananas. I felt sorry when I looked at them. They were sitting on the table, waiting to be eaten/ consumed in one way or the other. I started thinking what to do, and here’s what I did or baked. :)

Go Bananas with baking..! :)

Ingredients




All Purpose Flour/ Maida – 2 ½ cups
White Sugar – 1 cup
Dark Brown Sugar – ¾ cup
Unsalted Butter – ¾ cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp.
Eggs – 3
Ripe Bananas – 2 or 3, mashed
Salt – Pinch (if using salted butter, salt can be avoided)
Buttermilk/ Sour Milk – ¾ cup
Maple Syrup/ Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp.
Milk Chocolate Chips – ½ cup/ a handful
Milk Chocolate M&Ms/ Cadbury Gems – ½ cup

Note:

· didn't have sour milk, so I made my own instant sour milk by adding 2 tsp. of vinegar to ¾ cup of milk. I let it stand for a few minutes and the sour milk was ready.

· I once didn't have vanilla essence. So my good old friend 'lethargy' gave me an idea of substituting vanilla essence with maple syrup. And trust me, the cake turned out to be just fine. In fact it had this tinge of maple flavor which made the cake even more delicious.      

· If you don’t have brown sugar (light/ dark), just add white sugar.

Method

1. In a large bowl, mix together butter (melted/ at room temp), sugar, eggs and vanilla. Set aside.


2. In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, soda. Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Add sour milk and bananas to the batter. Also add chocolate chips. Beat together well. Make sure the banana is well mashed and gets properly mixed with the batter. If not, there are chances of the cake becoming too moist.



3. Pre-heat the oven at 350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C.
4. In the meanwhile, take a cake pan and grease it with butter. Pour half of the mixture. Scatter ½ a cup of M&Ms over the batter. Pour rest of the batter on top of it and scatter the remaining M&Ms. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

         

2 comments: