Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Caramel Custard



Caramel custard is one such dessert on which I can live. I LOVE it. As am writing this, my mouth is watering :)

Every time I went home for vacations, I would demand my mom to make this dish. I love it so much so that I used to not allow anyone else to touch it.

This morning when I woke up, I had this weird craving for caramel custard. I immediately called up mom and asked her for the recipe. I got in to the battlefield and the end result is as follows :)

Ingredients

Milk – 2 cups
Eggs – 2
Sugar – 8 tsp.
Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp.
Water – 4 to 5 cups
Note – The ratio of milk, egg and sugar should be 1:1:4. The quantities of these ingredients can be increased/ decreased as per this ratio.

For Caramel

Sugar – 3 to 4 tbsps.
Water – 3 to 4 drops
Note – The amount of sugar used for preparing the caramel should be in such a way that it can be spread nicely along the walls of the container in which it is made.

Method

1. In a pan add milk and sugar and bring it to a boil. Let it rest till it cools down completely.
2. In the meanwhile, beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the vanilla essence at this step.
Note – Vanilla Essence is optional. Its main purpose is to reduce the smell of eggs which many people might not like. Besides, it adds to the flavor too.
3. Once the milk cools down, add it to the beaten eggs and whisk nicely.


4. For making the caramel, take a container such that it fits in to a pressure cooker (as we’d be steaming the egg and milk mixture). Put sugar and water (2 - 3 drops) in to it and keep it on very low flame. As the sugar starts melting, keep rotating the container such that the caramelized sugar spreads evenly along its sides. Let the sugar be on flame till it caramelizes completely and spreads easily.


5. Now add the milk and egg mixture in to the container with evenly spread caramel.


6. Take a pressure cooker, add water and bring it to a boil.
7. Place the caramel and milk container in to the cooker and cover it with a lid. Make sure the water doesn't fall in to it while steaming.
8. Cover the cooker with its lid and let it steam for about 25 – 30 minutes.
9. Keep an eye on the cooker. Once the steam starts to come out (approximately after 5 – 10 minutes), let it simmer for 20 minutes
10. Take the container out and let it cool. Refrigerate it for about 1 to 2 hours before serving.

4 comments:

  1. My favourite too .. I will try it out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks neha for sharing this recipe..yummy its my fav too, but never thought tht it would be so easy to make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I know.. We often think of cooking as rocket science.. But it isn't.. It's actually pretty simple.. Try it out.. :)

      Delete