Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lentil Crepes/ Adai



There was this day when I was badly craving for some dosa. I felt quite helpless because making white dosas (urad dal and rice) is such a big process. I kept on thinking as to what to do and this thought came to mind – “Can I make dosas out of our regular chana dal/ toor dal?” I looked up the internet to see if anything like that exists. And Voila..! It does. I checked quite a few recipes and came up with the following one. My husband loves “Adai” and so do I. It’s perfect for breakfast or a light and delicious dinner.
Ingredients

To Soak:
Toor Dal – ½ cup
Chana Dal – ¾ cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/8 tsp.

For Grinding:
Dried Red Chilies – 4 to 5, whole
Coriander/ Cilantro – ½ cup, chopped
Mint Leaves – 7 to 8
Curry Leaves – 12 to 13
Garlic – 2 pods, cut in to large pieces
Black pepper Corns – 1 tsp.
Salt – to taste
Water – ¾ cup to 1 cup/ as per the required consistency
Ghee/ Oil – for frying the adai

Yield – 7 to 8

Method
1. Soak chana dal and toor dal along with fenugreek seeds for 3 – 4 hours.

                            

2. In a grinder, put all the ingredients except for oil and grind until a paste is formed. The batter need not be completely smooth. The adai tastes very good if the batter is a little coarse (not too much though).
Note: Be careful of the amount of water you add. Add water in installments until you get the desired consistency.


3. Heat a skillet and drizzle little oil/ghee on it. Take a laddle full of the batter, pour it in the center of the skillet and spread it in circular motion and make dosas. Add some more oil/ ghee to fry the dosa/ adai if required.


4. Flip the dosa and let it cook for a few seconds. Take it off the pan and place it on a plate.

5. Serve these mouthwatering hot dosas/ adais/ crepes right out of the pan with coconut chutney or tomato chutney.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Nice blog and nice work. Though this is my first visit I will try visiting it often.

    Sometimes, visit mine too
    http://sharmistha-fanaticfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharmistha,
      Thanks a lot for writing.. And thank you for appreciating my work.. :)
      I'll for sure visit your blog and learn some new dishes and tips.. :)
      Cheers!!

      Delete